LOOP-UP: Upcycle your old clothes into funky baby festival wear!
Prepare your little ones for a fun-filled waste-free summer by crafting funky upcycled festival wear. Not only is it a great activity for the whole family, but you can also have a chance to win some amaaaazing prizes by entering the LOOP-UP competition over on our Instagram.
WIN 2 months FREE SmartyPants rental & a Goodie Bag! The goodie bag contains products from our esteemed upcycler judges! This will include a Moon T-shirt from O Moon, a Chloe Hayward London Hottie and an embroidered ‘Love’ lavender bag, a Sew Fabulous appliqué kit and booklet, Double Denim Kids bucket hat, and many more fab things to be added!
SuperLoopers take action to cut carbon emissions that suffocate our planet, primarily by reducing textile waste and reusing garments. Remarkably, the fashion industry alone contributes to 8-10 percent of global carbon emissions . Even more staggering is the fact that a staggering 85% of this textile waste ends up in landfills . However, our community of smart SuperLooping families is leading the way in changing their shopping habits from owning to renting baby clothes. Together, we can help transform the prevailing throwaway culture. By embracing simple solutions like renting second-hand clothes, reusing garments, and upcycling, we can make a big difference.
Babies grow soooo fast, causing the clothes they outgrow to end up forgotten and unloved. Astonishingly, 183 million items of baby clothing are left gathering dust in the back of UK cupboards alone! Even well-loved staple pieces only get a few wears before your baby moves up to the next size. Seasonal and party pieces are even worse, often being worn just once before they no longer fit.
That’s why we have launched LOOP-UP to encourage funky festival parents like you to get creative and reupurpose some of your old tired pieces into fun and fresh designs. Moreover, by doing so, you not only reduce the use of natural resources needed for creating new clothing items but also reduce waste by giving textile ‘waste’ a new life! It’s also a great opportunity to unleash your inner fashion designer and create a one-of-a-kind item that showcases your creativity. Upcycling your old clothes is an excellent way to save money while spending time learning a new skill!
What is Loop-UP?
Hurrah! Festival Season is finally here, so we thought it was a great time for you to upcycle your old clothes into baby and children’s groovy festival-themed costumes or accessories!
Loop-UP is SuperLooper – Baby Clothing Rental’s cool competition which will run over the next month to celebrate the joys of upcycling. That’s a whole month to create something FABULOUS for your little ones to wear at this summer’s festivals 🤩
WHO CAN ENTER Loop-UP?
Anyone and everyone can enter – you don’t have to be a great sewer. Safety pins, iron-on webbing, and gaffer tape can work wonders!
The judges will select the most creative designs, so your idea can be functional, fantastical, or fabulously aesthetic!
HOW DO I Loop-UP?
- Follow @superlooperlife AND our 5 judges.
- Upload your creation onto your Instagram, tagging us and the judges and using the hashtag #LoopUP.
HOW WILL Loop-UP work?
Judging occurs in 2 stages:
Five of the UK’s TOP Instagram upcyclers will each pick their favorite design, and then it’s over to INSTAGRAM FOLLOWERS to choose the final winner!
Our esteemed Judges are:
- Chloe Haywood of Chloe Haywood London – renowned creator of chic repurposed and upcycled accessories
- Kerri Brackins Fischer of Double Denim Kids – upcycled vintage denim repurposed into beautiful kid’s clothes
- Susie Deadman of Sew Fabulous – Brighton’s favourite creative sewing school
- Hannah Exley-Myers of O Moon Clothing – specialists in sustainable, ethical recycled children’s clothing
- Emma Graham-White of Duvet Days Clothing – Ethical, upcycled, sassy and stylish festival kid’s fashion
Our five amazing upcycle wizzz judges will each select their fave design by Weds 20th July and then it’s over to the Insta followers of SuperLooper and the 5 judges to vote for the winner.
Whichever design receives the most votes wins!
Loop-UP will run for a month starting on Monday, June 19th. You must submit your entries by Monday, July 17th, and we will announce the winners on Wednesday, July 26th.
- Upcycling is a craft trend that focuses on reusing materials to repurpose or improve the quality of a product.
- Upcycling is fun! Unleash your inner fashion designer and create one-of-a-kind items that showcase your creativity.
- In addition, upcycling your old clothes is a great way to save money, as well as spend time learning a new skill.
- Moreover, there are many environmental benefits to upcycling, including reducing the use of natural and chemical resources needed to produce new fibers and fabrics, and minimizing the amount of waste thrown into landfills.
Upcycling is a great way to inspire your little ones to live sustainably. It teaches them to make the most out of unwanted clothes by repurposing them into something fresh!
UPCYCLING TIPS & TRICKS
- Preparation is key – Make sure to prepare all the tools you will need to create your costume or accessory. Whether it’s glue or thread, ensure that you have the correct equipment for your fabric of choice. Remember, we don’t want to create any more fabric waste, so it’s essential to plan how it will work before starting.
- Use our soon-to-be live Pinterest Board, full of festival inspirational content to help get your creative juices flowing!
- Don’t be afraid to use color – Embrace the summer vibrancy and be bold in your design so that it stands out to the judges.
For some groovy upcycling inspiration and more tips and tricks, be sure to follow our Instagram @superlooperlife for fab upcycling content throughout the month.
We wish all of our happy Upcyclers good luck! Get ready to Loop-UP!